Here are the answers to some frequently asked questions:
how can I get my school to join the siyaJabula siyaKhula program?
If you would like your school to join our program, please contact us using the information on the contact us
page. We will be happy to tell you more about the program, and guide you through the steps you must follow.
These steps are:
what happens when my school joins the siyaJabula siyaKhula program?
- Contact your school principal and discuss the program with him or her.
- Arrange for us to meet with your school principal.
- We will meet with your school principal and discuss how to include your school.
- We will then ask your school principal to send out letters to all parents at your school, and call the parents to a parents information meeting.
- At the parents meeting, we tell everybody about the program and ask them if they would like to join.
- Once the program is accepted by the parents of the school, we will include your school in our services.
Your school will join the siyaJabula siyaKhula program after your school’s parents have met to accept the program. Once this has happened, several things must happen together before the school and its learners can settle down to learning.
These are the steps that must be followed. Many of them will happen at the same time:
A parents meeting is held and the program is accepted by parents.
Parents apply for tasks using application forms collected at the school.
Chosen parents write selection tests.
The school and school governing body interview chosen parents.
The school and school governing body choose the final parents.
The final parents go for training.
Learners write assessment tests.
A timetable is agreed with the school.
Learners are assigned to classes.
Parents are assigned to classes.
Intervention lessons start.
Regular learner and parent assessments happen.
Learners, teachers and parents who need extra help are given remedial work.
Reports are sent to the school on learner progress.
Once the intervention lessons have started, your school will be fully integrated into our program.
I am a parent. How do I get involved?
If you are a parent who would like to get involved, there are some things you must have.
- First, you must have a child at the school where you want to help.
- Next, the school must have joined the siyaJabula siyaKhula program. If you school has not yet joined our program, please read the information at how can I get my school to join the siyaJabula siyaKhula program?
- Then you must have a Standard 8 education or higher to be able to help learners.
- You must be unemployed at the time of your application.
- You must also get at least two good references from places you have worked, or from organisations in your community, or from community leaders. These references will be checked by calling the people who gave you the reference. We work with children, so we can only use people of good character.
- After that, you must complete the application form, which you can get from your school, and hand it in to the school with copies of your references and qualifications if you have.
- Preference will be given to parents who have a track record of helping at the school, and to parents who are involved in community organisations such churches, religious institutions and volunteer groups. As we are an educational organisation, preference will also be given to parents with higher qualifications.
- If you are selected for the next round, you will be asked to come to your school and do some selection tests to check that you have enough education to assist learners.
- If you pass the selection tests, you will be interviewed at least once by a panel of people from the school and the school governing body.
- The panel will choose the best candidates from the applicants. If you are chosen, you will be allocated a task, and sent for training.
- Once you have successfully completed your training, you will be assigned classes of learners to assist.